Austrian-Ukrainian Summer School (Innsbruck)
Austrian-Ukrainian Summer School: Finding a Common Language
Innsbruck 2022 (10.–23.07.2022, University of Innsbruck)
In view of the war in Ukraine, we are keen to create a space for personal encounters and academic exchange between students from Ukraine and Austria. Our OeAD Summer School this year aims to help overcome language barriers and build friendships. This interaction takes place in joint language classes in German and Ukrainian or Russian. The Summer School also offers other opportunities to exchange in these languages. We would like to find one or more common language(s), because we all live together in a multilingual Europe and would like to contribute to overcoming borders, whether they are linguistic or national.
25 students each from Ukraine and Austria will come together in Innsbruck to learn German, Ukrainian or Russian, to exchange ideas and to share experiences.
The following participation requirements apply:
For students of Austrian universities or universities of applied sciences:
- Regular or associate student (also PhD studies)
For students from Ukraine:
- Studies at an Austrian university or university of applied sciences (as a regular or associate student or participation in the pre-study course Supplementary Examination in German)
- or at an Ukrainian university or university of applied sciences
A certificate for 5 ECTS will be issued by the University of Innsbruck for the completion of the course.
Application: Until 24 May 2022 via e-mail to email@example.com
- Completed application form: in German | in English
- Letter of application of max. one page in which you explain your motivation to participate in the programme.
- Copy of passport
- For students of Austrian universities or universities of applied sciences: Confirmation of enrolment and proof of 5 ECTS (only for Austrian students) or a current PhD programme
- For students of Ukrainian universities or universities of applied sciences: Confirmation of enrolment
Application documents can be submitted in German, English, Ukrainian or Russian.
For students of Austrian universities or universities of applied sciences Ukrainian (for beginners or advanced students) or Russian (for advanced students from level A2) is offered.
Students from Ukraine will attend a German course at three different levels.
Classes are held daily from Monday to Friday in two sessions from 9:00-10:30 and 11:00-12:30 with a maximum of 10 students per group. Participation in the classes is compulsory.
The lessons are communication-oriented and are partly held in tandem. This means that the participants take part in the language lessons in the target language as well as in their own language and support each other in learning the respective foreign language.
In addition to the morning lessons, there is also the possibility of taking part in optional conversation clubs in the afternoon or evening.
The Summer School wants to use language as a connecting element and this beyond the common language lessons. Therefore, in addition to the language courses, the participants will also attend workshops and lectures on social, cultural and historical topics. In this way, we want to search for and discuss what we have in common and what connects us beyond national and linguistic borders. The workshops and lectures will be held in the different languages of the Summer School, multilingually or in English. Participation in these workshops and lectures is compulsory.
In addition, we offer optional guided tours of museums and exhibitions. Innsbruck has always been a region of linguistic, cultural and economic contact across national borders. Art and cultural institutions are also dedicated to these topics and we would like to highlight this side of Innsbruck in our cultural programme.
At the weekend we invite you to an excursion to the Tyrolean high mountains – to the University Center Obergurgl. The mountains are always a place of encounter, because it is there that borders are literally overcome and what is common and unifying is strengthened.
Most of the costs for the lessons as well as for accommodation and meals of the participants are covered by the BMBWF. However, the organisers also require a small contribution from the students of Austrian universities or universities of applied sciences. This year this amount is € 150,00 per person. Participation is free of charge for students from Ukraine.
Since the BMBWF supports your participation in the Summer School with a scholarship, you are expected to actively participate in the lessons. Should this not be the case, you must expect that your scholarship will have to be paid back to the Ministry.
The Summer School, which is financed by the BMBWF, includes the following services:
- Accommodation in the Kolpinghaus with breakfast included
- Bus ticket for public transport in Innsbruck
- Daily lunch in the cafeteria of the University of Innsbruck
- Daily language classes from Monday to Friday, some of which are held in tandem (mixed-language groups).
- Optional language classes and conversation clubs in the afternoon or evening
- Scientific-cultural programme: workshops, lectures, museum and exhibition visits
- Optional weekend excursion to the University Centre in Obergurgl with planned hikes
Travel to and from Innsbruck is on your own and at your own expense. Please note in your application e-mail if you do not need accommodation in Innsbruck.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Austrian-Ukrainian Summer School is organised by the Centre for Eastern European Studies and the Institute of Slavonic Studies at the University of Innsbruck.
It is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF), represented by Austria’s Agency for Education and Internationalisation (OeAD).
Duration of scholarship:
Deadline for registration: May 24, 2022